[lit-ideas] Re: Yost's offer

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:27:14 +0900

At our club in Yokohama, I've found that what works for me is to order the
round but change mine from another beer to a tonic water. When the drinks
come, I drink the water and then announce that it's time to go home before
the other fellow feels compelled to order yet another round.
John

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 7:08 AM, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2008, at 12:01 PM, David Ritchie wrote:
> > Later I'll work out what I wanted to say...which wasn't actually much.
> >

> I was wondering if people have interesting things to say about how
> one offers to buy someone a drink and what the meanings of such
> offers are.  When I was at a conference a while back, I reached my
> alcohol limit before another fellow from Scotland did.  He had bought
> the last round and so I offered to stand him a drink, but I said I'd
> had enough and was thinking of hie'ing me off to bed.  He was
> insulted, and on reflection I can see why.  What my gesture said to
> him was, "You keep drinking alone, I'm off to the moral high ground."
> The polite move would have been to order a round and just have a
> glass of water or a soft drink myself, or just wound up the
> conversation.
>
> I was wondering how the wealthy fellow understood the offer.  Your
> dialog makes it clear.
>
> David Ritchie,
> Portland, Oregon

John McCreery