[lit-ideas] Re: Yost's offer

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:16:08 -0400

>>I'm wondering how you "buy [someone] a drink" at an open bar.

That party was the most spectacular display of conspicuous consumption I have witnessed.

I walked up to John and said, "This is too much, impossibly generous. You've got to let me buy you a drink."

He said, "Don't worry about it. ____ is leaving town in June and it's the least I could do for his birthday."

I said, "I insist. Please let me buy you a drink sometime."

"Just have a good time."

"You must let me do something for you. It's only fair."

He smiled and said, "Okay, next time we go out, buy me a drink."

When I returned to the table and mentioned the conversation to my friend, _____, he said, "Yost you make $__ an hour copywriting. John made three million dollars today in a trade."

"That's not the point," I replied.

And so it was. Over a month later, we went out and I bought John a drink.

Not embellishing a memory though perhaps distorting the actual dialog,
Eric