[lit-ideas] Re: Ye Olde Dialectic

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 03:23:55 -0400

Phil: Whatever Eric's point is, it turns on the assumption that government should be doing the kinds of things charities do. When I suggested that perhaps this was a faulty assumption, Eric introduced the Lincoln quote. If the quote is relevant, and I assume it is otherwise Eric wouldn't have introduced it, then Eric's concern is moot.

Eric: Okay {sigh} back to the quote.

_____
AUTHOR: Abraham Lincoln (1809â65)
QUOTATION: The desirable things which the individuals of a people can not do, or can not well do, for themselves
<snip>
[INCLUDES]
...public roads and highways, public schools, charities, pauperism, orphanage, estates of the deceased, and the machinery of government itself.
____

So Lincoln is in fact stating that government should be involved or the leader in these last areas, which charities also perform, by way of combined action. Phil considered the first part of the quote but not the entire quote.