[lit-ideas] Re: Ye Olde Dialectic

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:57:47 -0400

Eric Yost wrote:

"That is one way of reading my argument, but it misses the point I introduced
in an earlier post on the subject, namely that charities let the government off
the hook ..."

Nope.  If we are using Lincoln's account of government, an account you
introduced and one with which I am quite comfortable, then no such thing is
possible.  If government does what the people cannot, then charities, if they
are doing what they claim to be doing, are the people doing what they can.  If
the people are doing what they can, then they are, by definition, not letting
the government off the hook.  Again, you cannot consistently hold both
Lincoln's account of government and the concern about charities letting the
government off the hook.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON