[lit-ideas] Re: 'Would you like anything to read?'

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:31:40 -0800

On Feb 22, 2007, at 12:15 AM, Robert Paul wrote:

I've been having good luck with Amazon's 'used and new' selections--especially for paperback mysteries and recent trendy-but-ultimately-unsatisfying novels. Most of the time 'like new' mysteries and 'thrillers' go for a US penny. I suppose they make it up on the shipping charges. Even so, it beats the local drug store.
I usually do a quick comparison of prices at Amazon, Abe and Powell's. I heard that there is a book equivalent of Kayak, a site that checks all other sites and gives you a list from cheapest upward, but I haven't found the site. Has anyone on the list?

Shipping is an issue, particularly when you pay British postal charges in lowly U.S. dollars. But what amazes me is that the books I've been getting come by post office parcel post, which must mean that someone's work day includes standing in a queue at Bootle or Crackpot or Dunroamin' Post Office and waiting while everyone buys their bits and bobs. Or maybe the unemployment figures have been reduced by folk who get paid to stand in queues at Post Offices? Perhaps there's a rotation system--get to the front, find there's nothing new from your employer, buy a couple of stamps, go to the back of the queue and wait again?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon