[lit-ideas] Re: Worst Case Scenarios

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 18:28:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > *Certainly there are responsibilities that come
> with
> > being a great global power and "a stakeholder in
> the
> > current international system". For example, George
> > Bush this week will have to entertain in the White
> > House Azarbaijan's tyrant, Ilham Aliyev.
> >
> Which is indeed unfortunate, but I don't see what it
> has to do with the fact that the China has an
> increasingly larger stake in smooth running of say
> global economy, or global energy security on the
> whole.

*The terms such as "China's interests" or "US
interests" could use some more critical analysis. The
interests of China's government and the big (largely
foreign-owned) corporations are not necessarily the
same as the interests of its peasants, intelligentsia
etc. The same is true of other countries. While the
interests of big multi-national corporations may
indeed be "almost identical everywhere" as you noted,
that is hardly true of the rest of humanity.

> It is quite simple, globalization implies if not
> global government, then global governance. The
> imperfect but best thing we have on global scale are
> institutions like IMF, WTO, UN, IPCC, and one hopes
> ILO too in the future. If global issues like trade
> imbalances, protectionism, nuclear proliferation,
> climate chance and exploitation of labor can not be
> solved co-operatively, it is hard to see how they
> can
> be resolved at all. And if they can't be resolved,
> globalization will stop and reverse due to increased
> isolationism. Whether that would be good or bad, I
> don't know.

*I don't know either, but one problem with these
global institutions is that they are undemocratic.
What democracy and self-goverance exists today exists
on local and national levels, not in the UN, WTO, IMF
etc. The global order in which China is invited to
participate, and in which it participates if anything
more responsibly than the other great powers, may be
structurally corrupted.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com