[lit-ideas] Wittgenstein's Key

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 00:30:02 -0400 (EDT)

Re: the Key  Tenet

McEvoy:

>>>without understanding the  'key
>>>tenet', PI cannot be properly understood.

R.  Paul:

>>This implies that I have never 'properly understood' the  Philosophical
>>Investigations

McEvoy:

"In its typical  sense "He understood me" means "He understood me
properly"."

But McEvoy  gives another example:

i. He understood me to be suggesting he was  mistaken.

This, McEvoy notes, need not imply

ii. He understood me  PROPERLY to be suggesting he was mistaken.

"In context, (i) may even have  the implicit sense that he did NOT
understand me properly.

"In fact,  because (i) "may typically have the sense that he did NOT
understand me  PROPERLY, in this construction it may be best to include a
"properly" if we want  to show that is not the intended sense: as in
(ii)."

Point taken.  Back to R. Paul:

>>>without understanding the  'key
>>>tenet', PI cannot be properly understood.

>>This implies that I have never 'properly understood' the  Philosophical
>>Investigations

What about "appropriately",  then?

HPG: As far as I know, the ruthless and unswerving associations of
philosophy with the study of ordinary language was peculiar to the Oxford
scene,
and has never been seen anywhere before or since. A classic miniature of this
 kind of procedure common at the Play Group was Austin's request to Warnock
to  tell him
the difference between playing golf correctly and playing golf  properly."

----

When it comes to "understand" -- again, it's best  to understand
'understand' to mean, "get what you mean".

Here, the issue  is slightly more complex in that we have to postulate that
by uttering the  "Philosophical Investigations", Witters meant that p, say.

So, we  understand Witters in "Philosophical Investigations" when we get
(or recognise)  what he meant (by it).

Back to the other example:

i. He  understood me to be suggesting he was mistaken.

This seems to trade on  'understand'. Note that in slang, a leg is referred
to as an 'understanding'. So  perhaps etymologically, 'understanding' won't
do. Comprehend may be a better,  more precise (if Latinate) term.

While McEvoy is right that there is  (what I call a LOOSE, involving a
DISIMPLICATURE, technically) of 'understand',  as in ii, this I hold is a loose
use, because on examination it can be  demonstrated that it involves a
reductio ad absurdum.

For Grice, if you  mean more than you say, you IMPLICATE.
If you mean LESS than you say, you  DISIMPLICATE.

i. He understood me to be suggesting he was mistaken; but I  was NOT thus
suggesting. So surely he never 'understood' me.

In this  case, 'take' may do. Austin considers 'uptake' as a colloquial
term for  'understanding' and was obsessed with it.

A: Is this your car?
B: You  bet!

---- While 'you bet' is becoming too colloquial, Austin used it  correctly,
as meaning 'formal betting':

A: I bet you he won't be  there.
B: Mmm.
A: Come on. Do you take my bet, or not?

For Austin,  a bet needs an uptake. It does not count as a bet unless B
does agree to _take_  the bet.

----

If "proper" Cicero applies to orgies, it may do to  consider "appropriate",
which is a favourite term for philosophers of Grice's  ilk. A condition of
'appropriatenes' was one of Grice's obsessions at the  beginning of "Logic
of Conversation", and some have regarded his category of  "Relation" ('be
relevant') to imply some sense of 'appropriateness'.

And  so on. Again, I'll re-read the legal case and see if I can  contribute.

Cheers,

Speranza

And so on.