[lit-ideas] Re: Wittgenstein and the Metaphysics of Experience

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 19:35:35 EST

In a message dated 11/9/2009 4:14:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:

A man  alone in the wilderness is struck by a large rock which severs
his  femoral artery. He is pinned under it in a way that prevents him
from moving to try to stop the rapid bleeding. (He is a physician,  and
knows what is happening.) He can though reach his cell phone and  with
it he manages to call his brother in Minnesota. 'Max,' he says,  'I've
been hit by a rock, and I'm dying, I just wanted to ask  you...'

His brother, a philosoph[er], interrupts. 'Nonsense, André, You  can't
intelligibly say that you're dying. You might say, "I shall  die," or,
"I will die," but not...' However, André can no longer  hear him, and
our story ends.

And the sad thing is that Max was a Wittgensteinian:

A:  ... And surely according to the early Wittgenstein, "death  is
      not an event of life", as P. S. M. Hacker  suggests in a broader
      perspective in his Insight and illusion:  Wittgenstein and the
      metaphysics of experience, where along  Gricean lines it's
      the Hamletian extension of Malcolm's  argument in Dreaming,
      -- with "To die", "to sleep, perchance to  dream".

To R. Paul's good poetic examples, I'll add the Stanley (Jason Stanley)
point of contextualism re: Rupert Brooke.

   If I should die, think only this of me:
   that there is forever England.

Gricean analysis:

   "If I should die" -- tautological.

To be expanded: "If I should die SOON".
So, "I shall die" gets a communicative value only when the logical form can
 be expanded alla contextualist lines of Jason Stanley.

Cheers,

JLS