[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete's Role Reversal

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 14:44:34 +0000

Sunday, November 13, 2005, 12:29:45 PM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

Jac> How do you know these are real images from real situations
Jac> and not doctored  or "produced" photos for a political cause?  Or
Jac> for money or sensationalism  or whatever.

The nowthatsfuckedup ones?  The site isn't fake. What political cause would it
be?
(The US Army initially was "no comment" then said the soldiers were not
accountable
-- I quote from the media.)

How to tell if they're real?  When _The Mirror_ published photos of
British soldiers torturing Iraqis it was attacked by

a.  other papers who'd decided not to publish them because their photo
experts said they appeared fake or doctored

b. soldiers who were convinced they were fake, and faked outside Iraq.

The experts and the soldiers gave reasons, including the detainees'
appearance and clothing and the type of van, not used in Iraq.

They were conclusively proved right some while later.

(British soldiers had though been torturing Iraqis.)

I haven't seen any such analysis of the nowthatsfuckedup photos.  I
have read one that supports their being genuine though the writer says
what he says isn't proof. (Obviously only the US Army and perhaps the
site owner have access to anything that would count as proof.)

--
Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

                           mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx