[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete's Role Reversal

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:07:52 -0500

Mere scare words.  Hell.  Mere scare words.  Hell.  Mere scare words.
Hell.  Big decision coming up: Mere scare words or Hell?

Eric:  Just body parts.

A.A.  I love it.  Just body parts.  No big deal.  Just body parts.
Everybody should have the pleasure.  Some Friday night, Eric.  Have some
body parts.  Preferably with blood on them.

>Blood. People
> wearing brains on their shirt. Insurgents looking like stewed
> tomatoes trying to wear clothes. Normal war images without the
> smells. So what?
>
> The difference? Technology. Sniper videos. Stills of corpses.
> What countless generations of soldiers have seen and written
> about--presented here as jpegs and mpegs.
>
> The point? War is hell. Yeah. So? Is that supposed to make people
>   suddenly advocate cut-and-run, hunker under their bedsheets
> like scared rabbits, rage and cry against fate?

How about stop pretending that our soldiers are so much better than
everybody else when they're tired, scared, lonely, away from home, filled
with adrenaline, armed to teeth, dodging death and not discouraged from
their basest instincts?

Andy Amago