[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete, well, okay, a little bit

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:19:41 +0000

Wednesday, November 16, 2005, 1:46:08 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

EY> Judy: You mean if someone's going to commit a war crime against
EY> you, you commit a war crime if you force people to act as human
EY> shields in the knowledge that the enemy will attack despite that?

EY> Eric: Your question doesn't make any sense.

I suggest it does make sense in the context of your post/s.

But I suggest instead a new Godwin's Law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

 substituting "Saddam" for "Nazis"/"Hitler" as your tactic here is to
 counter an allegation against the US(/UK) by yammering "Saddam did
 X", and my "we're supposed to be better, and not just slightly
 better" has failed to persuade you that that is not appropriate.

EY>  Saddam used this
EY> strategy in the Iran-Iraq War and also in Gulf War I.

EY> In both cases, Saddam used raw conscripts as strategic human
EY> shields,

I am aware of their use in Gulf War I.  They were weak, ragged,
starving.  Others may wish to query "human shield"; I wanted a cite
for your "(children, the elderly)".  Please supply a cite for elderly
and child conscripts.

Wales? Wales is, as part of the UK, subject to the ICC.

--
Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK

                           mailto:judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx