[lit-ideas] Re: Willie Pete, well, okay, a little bit

My second post is a reaction to your knee-jerk reaction, "Saddam did worse".

Now I understand, Judy. You think I was arguing that we're just ducky because Saddam did worse.

That wasn't my intention. I wasn't making any argument for how wonderful the US is; in fact by describing our tactics in the island battles of WW2, I was trying to show just how horrendous war is. It was a follow-up to John Wager's post.

Further, I was suggesting that any nation employing the "put the cannon fodder on the front line" tactic might be committing a war crime. Granted, the two world wars used a lot of cannon-fodder tactics, but wouldn't it be good if (in addition to existing rules) certain tactics were themselves considered war crimes?