[lit-ideas] Re: Why I hope...to some extent... never to be asked for a comment

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:09:18 -0800

The Edinburgh house of Magnus Linklater, novelist Eric Linklater's son, and in his own right a former editor of the Scotsman newspaper and a patron of the arts, caught fire on New Year's Eve. Several important paintings were destroyed. An art historian was asked to comment:

"Paul Stirton, a senior lecturer in the history of art at Glasgow University, said the loss of the collection was a tragedy. 'In cultural terms, Mr Linklater's collection is priceless, to some extent. The fact that they have gone is a great loss,' he said."

David Ritchie Portland, Oregon