[lit-ideas] Re: Who are you supporting in this war?

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:26:20 -0800

I'm not sure why Lawrence referred to Jean Bethke Elshtain as an 'ethicist,' or why whoever it was objected to this description of her. One site I've found (a press release from Whitworth College) refers to her as a 'Noted Ethicist and Political Philosopher,' but PR people are not always the best source of useful distinctions. Elshtain is a professor of political philosophy at the University of Chicago, who is interested in ethics. An ethicist is a sort of higher order Dear Abby (e.g. Randy Cohen, who has a weekly column in the NYT Magazine), i.e., someone willing to advise people about whether some proposed course of action would be 'ethical' or not. Why there are thought to be experts in these matters might be of some interest to sociologists, but people who advertise themselves as ethicists are not licensed by the state, nor do they undergo any special sort of training.

Some would distinguish between 'practical' ethics and something like the academic study of Kant and Mill (Ethics 301); but I doubt anyone could learn morality (or ethics) from Kant or Mill unless he or she already had a fairly robust sense of moral concepts to begin with, and in any case, few ethicists invoke the teachings of the Great Dead Philosophers, except by way of trying to show that they're not just making it up on the spot.

Lawrence:

Power in a >Violent World.  When I read that a couple of years ago I
referred to [JBE] as an Ethicist which >someone took exception to.  I can't
recall why.

Judy:

Because she isn't an ethicist.  (I said that, A Philosopher agreed. That was
on Another List.)

Note that Judy rightly capitalizes 'Philosopher.'

Robert Paul
looking for a few clear cases
somewhere south of Reed College