[lit-ideas] Re: Who are you calling crazy?

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 13:05:40 +0900

On 5/9/06, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The wimpy of the world worry about the attitude of the Marines, about their
being insensitive and unfeeling.  But they don't worry about berserk
Islamists.

It might be fairer to say that we, the wimpy of the world, worry about both the Marines and the Islamists since they seem to be mirror images, both believing that calculated violence and taking the war to the enemy will solve the world's problems as they see them, both being indifferent to collateral damage if their goals are achieved.

Since, however, I have a Marine son-in-law with whom I get along
pretty well, I am open to a more nuanced view that incorporates U.S.
military policy of minimizing collateral damage and contrasts it with
terrorist intentions--since in the terrorist's eyes we are all the
enemy and the concept of "collateral" damage has no bearing. I am also
aware that Marines can be intelligent, amiable fellows, be good
husbands, grill a mean steak, bake a great pizza, and mix an
incredible Bloody Mary.

What disgusts me are those who seem prepared to throw away the Geneva
Conventions, international bans on torture, and civil rights and
liberties guaranteed by our Constitution and threaten to use nuclear
weapons because, as far as I can make out, their fear outweighs both
reason and conscience.

John

-----Original Message----- From: lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Omar Kusturica Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 6:39 PM To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Punitive Expeditions (in the garden)

Lawrence,

Ever seen MASH ? No, I didn't think so. You might have

a bit more sense of humour about "a Marine being

always prepared" if you have.

You description of a Marine strikes me a lot like a

description of mental illness.

Omar

--
John McCreery