[lit-ideas] Re: What's in Kate?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 22:30:19 EST

What's in 'a name'?
-- "Romeo" by any other  name would smell so sweet -- claimed Juliet. Some
disagree. A name is an  important attribute of a thing.

Indeed, Quine proposed to replace "Quine"  by "the person called Quine".

Thus

(Ex)Qx & R(H,  x)

there is an x which quineses and retired from Harvard

is a good  reading of what went on.

Some people think that dead persons become  non-persons, but I disagree. I
think 'Quine' still exists. Materially, all the  material corpuscules that
made up for Quine are still around, since matter is  indestructible. Plus,
there are the books (he wrote,  etc.).

----

In a message dated 1/24/2011 7:27:46 P.M.,  rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:
Donal:

'Nothing until after the  wedding.'

I never thought I'd see Donal endorsing the official line on  anything.

RP

----

Catherine Middleton was born in  England. She is possible the most
important female nowadays in terms of the  British throne. She represents the
fact
that half the genetic code of the future  monarch (if there is one -- cfr.
Aristotle on "Future Contingents") will be  Middletonian.

> Nothing until after the wedding.

----

R.  Paul rightly refers to this as McEvoy's surprising 'orthodoxy'.

From a  Popperian perspective, 'until after the wedding' is till
unverifiable (as  uttered today).

Who will be attending the wedding?

----  Incidentally, there is a ps to my previous. Some are suggesting,
rudely,  "Cambridge", as one place that still has no 'earl'. So, the suggestion
was made  that the Queen should name William, "Earl of Cambridge" (as
opposed to Oxford,  etc. -- cfr.P. D. James, Baroness Oxford? No. Baroness
Holland
Park). And thus  Catharine Middleton would become "Countess of Cambridge".

Vickers thinks  the whole discussion is otiose (he would, wouldn't he)
since, once, after the  wedding, and Kate properly a part of 'The Firm' (as (c)
The Royal Family is  jocularly known -- if you have THAT sense of humour),
and William does become  KING

Catharine

WILL be

"Queen Catharine". So what all that  fuss about a title (or 'name') that
will become ineffective (or otiose) once the  important event in the life of
William takes place?

----- There was a  display of art students from an art college in London
all dressed as "Kate" --  Charming.

Speranza