[lit-ideas] Re: What is the difference between ...

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 01:56:23 -0500

Mike: But certainly it is not the liberals who try to have books banned from libraries, it is not liberals who have symbolic "book burnings" as some churches around here do. The moral watch-dogs have always been affiliated with conservatism, not liberalism in my experience.

I'm sure the poet -- nine books out, now on tour in LA -- celebrates Banned Book Week with fervor and probably library-sponsored readings, disdains simpleminded attempts to ban Catcher in the Rye and Huckleberry Finn, and considers himself an enlightened person ... as we all do.

Yet he doesn't want Palin's puff piece to make it to the bookstore, let alone the library. He wants HarperCollins to pull it, because it is dangerous, and he is willing to cancel freedom of press for this higher morality.

People who disagree with him are "evil." On the other hand, people who disagree with conservatives are "closet Maoists" or "space cadets" or "fools" .... but seldom are labeled "evil."

Then there's poor bipolar Tipper Gore, wanting to put warning labels on CDs with explicit language, violating all the stereotypes.