[lit-ideas] Re: What is a computer program?

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:15:14 -0800

This is a fascinating question that leads down many rabbit holes.

What is software? What is hardware? What's the relation between the two? What is data? What is encoded information? What happens when information is turned into encoded information? What is an algorithm? What can an algorithm handle (and not handle)?

People who work with computers call them machines. Is it a machine? What's the similarity and difference between a computer and a machine such as a steam engine? Why are "engineers" the ones who work with computers? Why are the people who work with computers first trained how to design bridges?

Can computers think? Can they out-think a human? What does it mean, to think? Is it possible to make a computer that is self-conscious? Or, to reverse the question: is it possible to transfer our consciousness into a computer?

I realize that to most people, computers are some sort of magic. The vast majority of people have zero idea of what even happens, at a most basic level, inside a computer. Yet we have dozens of computers in our cars. The entire shopping system (manufacturing, warehousing, delivery, sales, etc.) is one vast computerized process. And this computerization of processes is growing ever faster.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

----- Original Message ----- From: <JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx>