[lit-ideas] Re: What a day!

  • From: cblitid@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:12:08 +0200

On 24-Jul-12, at 5:31 PM, Donal McEvoy wrote:

On 24-Jul-12, at 9:05 AM, [Chris Bruce] wrote:

List members might be interested to learn what other movies (25 in all) were on the United States National Film Registry's inaugural list of "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" films.

Also the agenda-setting in such lists. It seems to me almost unarguable that 'The Godfather Parts I and II' are not of greater significance than many on this list ...

'Star Wars' ... is a much less significant film, aside from its negative effect on the business of movies, than 'E.T' ...

Donal and other list members will be happy to note that THE GODFATHER PARTS I AND II and E.T., together with many other notable films (such as, for example, WHAT'S OPERA, DOC? and GARLIC IS AS GOOD AS TEN MOTHERS [!?!]), have been subsequently added to the National Film Registry's list of "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" films. For the full list see

http://www.loc.gov/film/registry_titles.php

Every year the National Film Registry adds 25 films to the list. The criteria can be found here

http://www.loc.gov/film/filmabou.html

"To be eligible, films must be at least 10 years old, though they need not be feature-length or have had a theatrical release in order to be considered. The legislation’s intent is that the broadest possible range of films be eligible for consideration."

And, interestingly enough, anyone can nominate a film for inclusion. (The National Registry website even provides a list of films in order of year of release which have not yet 'made the cut'.) I note that the right to nominate films is not (at least at that site) explicitly restricted to American citizens; perhaps this 'cut' is made later ...

http://www.loc.gov/film/vote.html

http://www.loc.gov/film/NFRposs.html

Chris Bruce,
signing off to catch up on such 'significant' classics (try YouTube) as the immortal
THEODORE CASE SOUND TEST: GUS VISSER AND HIS SINGING DUCK (1926), in
Kiel, Germany