[lit-ideas] Re: What Did You Do When America Was Attacked?

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:41:22 -0600

Brian:
>>Actually I was asking what it is you think I was trying to do but failed at.
>>I thought Hewitt's comments were provocative and believe it is a fascinating
>>question....So are you under the impression I was trying to convert people
>>here to Hewitt's way of thinking and failed?<<

Aha.  Yes, I was under that impression, believing that you more or less agreed
with Hewitt.   I didn't really find Hewitt's thoughts so much provocative as
pedestrian.  I doubt you thought them provocative either, but thought we
liberals would find them so.  Sorry, been there, done that.

>>In the interest of full disclosure I support the military and esteem those
>>that serve, though I have not served.<<

So do I, though I have not served either.  I also esteem policemen and firemen
and pharmacists and garbagemen and business executives and winos and crack
addicts though I've never been any of them.  I esteem myself though I've never
been the me I esteem.  I even esteem conservatives.  Wow!  Am I big souled or
what?

>>Hewitt's position is no more negated by his lack of service than those that
>>said to abolitionists "don't like slavery?  Don't own one."<<

So this should hold true for all ethical questions, yes?  Like: "Don't like
murder?  Don't murder.  Now get out of my face"  "Don't like thievery?  Don't
steal.  Now, get out of my face."  Etc.  Sounds good to me, I been looking for
license.  But Hewitt's doing more than that.  He's saying don't do as I did, do
as I should have done had I been the kind of person I want you to be.  Sure
thing, Hugh.

Mike Geary
still in Memphis