[lit-ideas] Re: War, no sort of about it

  • From: John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:27:50 -0500

Ursula Stange wrote:

This made me smile. I grew up in a part of Chicago with a drugstore that had paperbacks in a revolving rack and billed itself as the 'biggest bookstore on the south side'. .

That's larger than our campus "bookstore." I teach at a large suburban community college near Chicago, with about 10,000 students. We have an on-campus bookstore that sells texts, etc. One day, I thought I'd just check out the books there, although I usually go to a Borders or Barbara's for such browsing. I asked where the non-texts were; I was directed over into the corner, where I saw a single short shelf with 10 books on it, half of which were on the NY Times best-seller list. I asked where the other books were; I was told that these were all that the bookstore stocked, except for texts and medical reference works.