[lit-ideas] Re: Violence as Destruction of Doubt

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:46:04 -0400

My Rage Ike: More generally than the vocabulary of any specific field, I find that I don't understand the vocabulary of masseurs / masseuses who speak in New Age terminonolgies such as: "squeezing out the bad memories that linger in the cells of the muscles."

Rice Toys: That's the lite version of "Come up in the tree house and we'll show you the secret decoder ring" type privacy. It's lite because you can figure out they are taking splotches of Wilhelm Reich's thought to imply that psychic trauma is embedded in your wearied muscles, and if they clamp iron fingers on you, it will be released. You can also figure out that they subscribe to the Information paradigm of healing, namely that rendering something traumatic into information will make it all hunky-dorey.