[lit-ideas] Re: Victor Hanson in Iraq

  • From: joerg benesch <jgruel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:47:21 +0100

Eric Yost schrieb:
(...)
Ouch. Sorry to be a focus of the passion of your disagreement.For my part, I sometimes feel compelled to introject "this tone" as a corrective or buffer for what I perceive to be a dogmatic party line chorus. Just can't see anything wrong with killing our enemies. Tried to. Probably too dense to reflect much. When geopolitics merits it, I'd be glad to sing the "Ode to Joy" with you. (...)
I'm not much given to geopolitics, contenting myself with cultivating my garden. So, it's not about disagreeing, there are others here who can do that much better. It's about being shocked to hear you talk in that killer's language. Here's what it reminds me of:

"[...]Ob die anderen Völker in Wohlstand leben oder ob sie verrecken vor Hunger, das interessiert mich nur soweit, als wir sie als Sklaven für unsere Kultur brauchen; anders interessiert mich das nicht.

[…]Von euch werden die meisten wissen, was es heißt, wenn hundert Leichen beisammen liegen, wenn fünfhundert daliegen oder wenn tausend daliegen. Dies durchgehalten zu haben, und dabei – abgesehen von Ausnahmen menschlicher Schwächen – anständig geblieben zu sein, das hat uns hart gemacht. Dies ist ein niemals geschriebenes und niemals zu schreibendes Ruhmesblatt unserer Geschichte

[...]Wir hatten das moralische Recht, wir hatten die Pflicht gegenüber unserem Volk, dieses Volk, das uns umbringen wollte, umzubringen. [...]"

That's Heinrich Himmler on what you'd call "geopolitics", or "killing our enemies". Sounds great as a "corrective", or "buffer". Looks transparent enough for me, so perhaps here's a point to start reflection.

This is a link to a bilingual version: http://www.holocaust-history.org/himmler-poznan/speech-text.shtml Another version, with sound and the text of the complete speech, can be found at http://www.susannealbers.de/09animation-video29poznan.html

As I said, I'm not much versed in geopolitics, yet a friend just sent me a copy of Daniel Yergin's "The Prize", and made me promise to read it; so hopefully I'll soon be able to disagree on a less passionate level.

joerg,
from Suebia

p. s.: Himmler's hold this speech a few weeks after the decisive defeat in the battle of Kursk, and it is instructive in many ways; take, for instance, his unwillingness to give General Wlassow and his anti-stalinist dissenters a chance, who later, when the military situation became desperate, were armed and served in a kind of "sovietification" - only to be forsaken by the Americans, and slaughtered by Stalin.