[lit-ideas] Re: "Vanitas Vanitatum"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:46:59 EDT

In a message dated 9/7/2004 7:12:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
This  sounds a bit odd to me -- given that his parents were
Anglo-Indian  --
AA>Thackeray himself left India as a small child, never to  return.
he was sent to school here, yes
----

There is an interesting sequence in the film involving, I believe, a
Jamaican -- and I wonder if that's in the original too:

     A: What can you tell about the sugar
          plantations.
     B: Not much -- I left Jamaica
         as a small child, when I  was three years
         old, never to  return.

This involves what the NYT review describes,

    "Then, as now, you could buy your
    way to the top, and one of the sharpest
    scenes observes a crude premarital
    negotiation that goes nowwhere."

--- "She's not even English!", George Osborne tells his father.

I would think Thackery _was_ considered an 'Englishman', though, and I
notice that the Oxford Dict. of Quotations describes him as "English novelist",

not British, or Anglo-Indian! -- Cheers,

I loved the scene about the curry and Becky's initiation to it!

JL