[lit-ideas] Re: Valentine's Day Meditations

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:02:47 -0500

Just real quick.  Remembrances of Things Past.  People remember things
better than they really were.  I suspect if, like Ebeneezer Scrooge, you
were transported into the past, you'd see the flaws you now forgot.  I
think what people are attracted to in remembering the teenage years is a
time that they *recollect* as safer, easier, simpler, because they had less
responsibility, had someone taking care of them, not because it was
necessarily less anxious. I caught a movie while channel surfing once on
exactly this issue.  It was a reunion where everybody got together and
relived their teenage years, only to find out that the catty ones were
still catty, and so on.  If your situation was different, then certainly
that's fine.

I don't think there's anything wrong with oral sex.  I think there's
something wrong with it based on motive.  If it's peer pressure or
something along those lines, then it's not so good.  It's probably better
than regular sex since there's no risk of pregnancy.  STD can still be
transmitted I think.  Per the NYT (but what do they know) girls care about
boys' sexual pleasure more than boys care about girls.  I don't know how
much of hooking up is hype anyway.  It seems with the conservative backlash
regarding marriage instead of career, I would think sex would be less
casual but maybe it isn't.

For Judy, I used Diana and Charles as an example of what looks good from
the outside isn't so good on the inside.  Lots of voluntary marriages end
up like that too, rich, poor, in the middle, everybody.  Hollywood does it
all the time.  Donald Trump, etc.

I have nothing more to say on this or anything else.  See ya.

Christmas.

> >   I suspect that some variation of "loose" is still applied to girls,
and
> > fuck you has not morphed into a positive expression.  When Princess Di
> > and Prince Charles got married, they were the classic lucky couple,
> > picture of happiness.  Their marriage turned into a nightmare.
Likewise,