[lit-ideas] Re: Univocal philosophy as the value of transcendental claims?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 16:06:18 -0500

PHIL: What I have tried to suggest is that using the word 'theft' is to not

only pick out an act but at the same time assert the moral
prohibition.

Consider these instances to the contrary, though one might argue that denial is an acknowledgment of that which has been previously asserted.

Bertram says, "By heaven! I’ll steal away."
The  First Lord replies, "There’s honour in the theft. "
[William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well]

Tis no sin love’s fruit to steal;
But the sweet theft to reveal,
To be taken, to be seen,
These have crimes accounted been.