[lit-ideas] Re: UN question

Marlena: ...and then, for those paying attention--what is going on with this whole
diversity thing at the UN and how do you see it affecting the US?

Eric: I haven't been paying attention so I'm not sure what "diversity thing" means. However, considering that we are famously reaching the point of peak oil, I want to launch a brief sidebar to your question.

Maybe this point in history is the peak of multiculturalism and diversity, and it won't get any better (or worse) than this.

Consider: one of the first things hit by oil shortage will be jet fuel. Jet fuel will become increasingly expensive. Long before agriculture itself is threatened by the loss of nitrogen fertilizers, frequent flyer miles will go bye-bye. Travel will slow. Immigration will return to foot traffic alone, since I doubt we will have vast fleets of coal-fired ocean liners up really quick.

And all those rogue nations and hostile closed societies will continue being what they are...only nobody will care because nobody will be able to go there easily, nor will "they" be able to get here easily. People will become happier because their societies will be more homogeneous. Distant wars will be much more difficult to pursue. Spheres of influence will return. The nightmare prospect of world government will vanish forever.

And the UN will return to a League of Nations status. There will be the lesson of past frequent contact with other cultures, but not the ongoing reality.