[lit-ideas] UN question

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 00:13:13 EDT

Hi,
I met with a young man this afternoon to work on one of his merit badges  ...
we were discussing what he knew about the United Nations.

Later, I came home to this message from the group which assisted me on one
of our merit badge programs. (They are asking if I would like to be on the
steering committee for this. Ha. We have just been talking at my work about NOT

doing so many community things...too many meetings, too much driving, etc.
And,  all for what...?? Oh, nevermind. While that is a question needing some
thought--the whole purpose of such activities and whether they do provide any
value for the community-at-large or affect change in any way beyond just the
'feel good' aspect of those attending and being involved [I'm way past that in
my psychological development...or maybe just too tired...), that is not really
 the point of this post.)

The real question is ...

What do you think the UN has done for 'the world' that stands out,
particularly, in your mind as to incredibly helpful, healthy or positive in
terms of
accomplishing its mission. (maybe the top three for those who often,  like me
<g>, have a hard time choosing)

It's fun talking to middle school kids about things like the United  Nations,
especially once you see them actually understand how it works in
relationship to something similar to their own lives. (the example we used was
the PLC
meetings...this young man had recently been elected a Patrol  Leader...and so
we discussed things like 'compromise' and the Cuban Missle  Crisis <g> [not
quite the same thing as two different patrols arguing over  which merit badge
work on during a lock-in or which camping site to  choose--but hey. One
reaches where people are...if one remembers to do so. Or,  at least, that is my
philosophy [when I remember it].  And, the young one  'got' it...)

So--United Nations.  Top three?

and then, for those paying attention--what is going on with this whole
diversity thing at the UN and how do you see it affecting the US?  (beyond
Hollywood being cross)  I think it was sponsored by the Canadians and the
French?
I'll look up citations but remember--I'm no MA Camp...if you don't  know what I
think, you'll always at least get some questions...and you will  always know
that I'll be mulling over your answers for a long time <g> [no  offense
intended towards MA Camp...whether here or not! His posts just have  become
such an
example of what we best NOT do...if we want to stay around to be  read,
anyway!)

Best,
Marlena in Missouri