[lit-ideas] Re: Two poems, two approaches, for Friday

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 01:04:59 -0400

I don't dispute that.  The book I'm referring to is by Fox Butterfield (NYT
journalist, he used to report on the USSR), called All God's Children (the
story of criminal Willie Bosket).  I read it years ago.  In it he describes
the system of honor which he traces to the Scotch Irish who brought their
code of honor to South Carolina, which was an exceptionally violent place
even by violent 19th century standards.  Fox makes a very credible case.
Obviously the Scotch Irish didn't invented honor, but they were
instrumental in disseminating it in the U.S.  As far as Homeric heroes
living by a code of honor, that makes sense because the Greeks were engaged
in war and were generally violent, as you describe.  Also, Homer is dealing
in story telling, and honor is essentially a fantasy, like chivalry.  When
men dueled in the recent past, honor was also more precious to them than
life itself, part of the distorted thinking about it.  Taken to its logical
conclusion, honor rules the inner cities.  I can't see how any person can
look at that and say honor makes any sense.  History is basically a
recounting of mankind's insanity, so honor fits in there like a glove.  I
suggest reading Fox Butterfield's book for more details regarding its
application to the U.S.