[lit-ideas] Re: Twater -- English Philosophical Lexicon

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 23:08:57 -0500

JL:

"> Geary's expertise in air-conditioning I had higher hopes in. He mentions
pressure and temperature:

Objections to 'pressure'. If a piano falls on me, the pressure is high, but
surely I am still a living being, if I survive. -- there's no CHEMICAL
change involved, only physical.

One would certainly have had higher hopes for the Loeb's Pool Side Librarian's understand of basic science than is on display here. Water only boils (turns into a vapor, evaporates) at 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees by the sissy European centigrade scale) when the atmospheric pressure is 14.69 psia. At .5 psia water boils at 79.6 degrees F. At 1000 psia water boils at 545 degrees F. Most people would say that demonstrates a relationship between pressure and temperature. The two go hand in hand. Never any variance. Almost all "things" exist in three states depending on the pressure and temperature (some skip a stage, like CO2 and sublimate). Even you, you Ligurian stud you, will at a certain temperature and pressure either evaporate or solidify or remain a softie.

The temperature argument is equally minimisable:
According to Gurry's taxonomy of things the criterion is when the temperature too high: 'vapour' things, when the temperature 'cosi-cosa': 'water' when the temperature very low: ice.<<

Wrong again. -- It's the relationship between pressure and temperature. They go together like a horse and carriage, you can't have one without the other. In a deep enough vacuum,water can boil at 32 degrees F (0 C) instead of freeze. Get it yet?

Surely the freezing of water and the steaming of water is a physical
process (not chemical) that every schoolboy is familiar with.

It's a change of phase. How the molecules bond to one another changes very dramatically according to how much energy they have. There more to life, JL, than is dreamt of in your linguistics. I claim that water is not ice, ice is not steam and steam is not water. There are the same compound with very different characteristics. It is those characteristics that seem important to me. You don't cook with ice. You don't cool your drink with water.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx>