[lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn off - Panic attacks

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 11:13:59 +0100 (BST)

> >>Likewise panic attacks are ways of expressing submerged thoughts and
> >>feelings and emotions, as are obsessions, and arguably phobias. <<
>
> Perhaps or perhaps they are symptoms of a chemical imbalance in the brain
> or
> neuronal lesions or disease.  I suspect those causes much more strongly
> than
> suppressed bad thoughts.

Panic attacks have been researched and a pioneering cognitive therapy has
been developed that is 90%+ effective. A key pioneer was David Clark, an
Oxford man. His theory is that panic attacks are not due to chemical
imbalance or lesions or disease, nor "suppressed bad thoughts", but arise
from a catastrophic (mis)interpretation of unpleasant but normal bodily
sensations.

The success of the cognitive therapy he developed does not in fact prove the
thesis that panic attacks are cognitive rather than biological/physiological
disorders. So he also developed an experiment that shows that the underlying
cause of panic attacks must be cognitive. The test is both simple and
devastating and I've forgotten what it is.

Donal