[lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn off

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:45:22 EDT

It seems to me that anger, sadness and anxiety are all secondary emotions
piggy-backing on the primary emotion of fear.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn
off  Date: 4/26/06 9:02:35 A.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>> I think it can be argued that there  are three basic *negative* emotions,
> > whit - anger,  sadness, anxiety >

>I would also distinguish between emotions  and
> feelings.

I'm not sure I get this distinction. Or that  it much matters to the thesis
that there are only three basic negative  emotions/feelings/psychological
states.

>Anxiety isn't really  an emotion.  It's the vague turbulence, for
> lack of a better word,  for what goes on when an emotion is submerged.  Get
> to the anger,  hatred, grief or fear and the anxiety will go away. Sadness
> is a more  nuanced emotion, it's also important.

Can't it be argued that fear  is just a form of anxiety, and equally that
depression or "grief" are just  forms of sadness?

Your comment also has a flavour of Freud's 'hydraulic'  theory of the mind,
which I understand does not stand  up.

Donal

To help you  stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo!
Security Centre.  http://uk.security.yahoo.com