[lit-ideas] Re: Tune in and turn off

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:38:24 -0400

"Whenever I look inside myself, there is no self to be found." Surely one of the most thought-provoking statements in philosophy. Hume should sign-on, yes. And we could do with a little Nietzsche, too.
And if we're going to dig up 200 year-old ghosts, why not 2,000? Surely Nietzsche will come, if we tell him Heraclitus is here.

One of the paper options for my first year students this year was to imagine inviting a philosopher to dinner.
Any guesses as to the most popular choices?
Ursula
...almost out from under the marking...

Robert Paul wrote:

There is no such entity as the self, he said, wishing that Hume's ghost would sign onto lit-ideas.

Robert Paul
Reed College