[lit-ideas] Re: Try a Logic Problem

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 16:11:56 -0400

Robert Paul wrote:

"Phil, fastening on the notion of statements and contrasting them with
sentences, believes that the Semantic Conception of Truth must be
'epistemic.' This is just a muddle."

Perhaps, but the muddle belongs to Donal, not me.  I only said that
Donal's account must be epistemic.  Whether Tarski's account is
epistemic is another matter and one I certainly did not raise.

Robert concludes:

"Donal is right that Tarski doesn't invoke 'facts' and 'existence' in
setting out his quite general criterion of truth."

Huh?  Donal is the one going on about 'facts' and their 'existence'
while talking about T-sentences.  I was the one trying to avoid such
talk.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON