[lit-ideas] Re: Try a Logic Problem

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:01:36 -0230

OK, let me see, according to my e-mail log, Paul S. posts but answer is
incorrect, then Phil posts with the correct answer, then RP tells us about
Copi's political incorrectness (agreed, Hurley's *Concise intro to logic* is
much better all round), then Lloyd sends a piece of cake to Phil, then Paul
tries again but raises an objection from Phil, then Paul replies to Phil, Phil
replies to Paul, then Paul replies to Phil, then Phil responds very astutely to
Paul (although I no longer remember why that response was astute), then Paul
offers a "verbose solution" which looked right to me at the time, then Phil
replied to Paul again for some reason and then Eric Yost expressed "moral
outrage" which I thought was quite beside the point, but whatever, and then
Lloyd M. posted a solution which my records say is correct.

Thus, according to my records it appears that Phil Enns was the first to
correctly answer the 2-pronged problem. Congratulations, Phil! I'm not sure
what the prize will be but I won't be surprised if we receive a plethora of
suggestions regarding an appropriate reward for your efforts.

I have alot more puzzles and problems in my magic box, should anybody still be
bored and lonely and tired of listening to old Roy Orbison tunes.

Problematically yours,

Walter O.

P.S. Here's an easy one: Why should you not criticize people until you've walked
a mile in their shoes? (You don't need to be Catholic to figure out the
answer.) I used to make money on this stuff at Camping Bagetelle in Avignon,
just across from the bridge that doesn't go anywhere. Don't know if it's still
there, Teemu. Enjoy.