[lit-ideas] Re: Try a Logic Problem

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:30:59 -0400

Paul Stone wrote:

"Yes, but that's not the case the way this problem is posed."

I agree, but I understood you to be saying that there was a trivial
answer that could be derived from the simple fact that he COULD (your
emphasis) know what colour his hat is.  If the answer requires the fact
that neither P1 nor P2 know what colour their hats are, your answer is
not trivial but rather just not expressing all the logical steps.  Of
course, it might be possible to intuit the answer without those steps
but I thought Walter was interested in having those steps articulated.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON