[lit-ideas] Re: True Desperation

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 00:39:47 +0100

Tuesday, September 6, 2005, 11:19:47 PM, Teemu Pyyluoma wrote:

TP> It is not only misery. It is throughly depressing no
TP> matter how you look at it. You can pick pretty much
TP> any thing you thing that is wrong with USA, or modern
TP> societies in general and it fits the disaster:

TP> - The growing poverty.
TP> - Racism.

we are a profoundly unequal society (though not as unequal as the US)
and inequality is growing here and social mobility falling.  But our
infrastructure is better (perhaps simply because we are smaller)

TP> And so on. Personally, I'm still wondering whether the
TP> concept of public emergency shelters is entirely alien
TP> to the state of Lousiana or USA in general?

I think not.  But they are though not an alien concept here, not in
place: they were part of Home Defence (formerly Civil Defence) plans
in the event of nuclear war, but the plans were not implemented.  (We
must though have plans -- in fact, we do, of course -- that come into
play in the event of a terrorist attack.)

TTP> tennis courts, etc. in normal situations) or in
TP> basements of houses (used as saunas for the apartment
TP> complex). There are some structural requirements, but
TP> the basic thing is that they must have a toilet, a
TP> shower and spare water. I've never paid any attention
TP> to how this is handled elsewhere, but surely the
TP> concept is not novel. It's not like it has any
TP> significant costs either.

Such plans are of use only in certain circumstances -- and really the
shelters would need to have air seals, air filtration. There are shelters like
that here, the MOD etc. will have them. I doubt their use in time of
flood.

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx