[lit-ideas] Re: True Desperation

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 21:04:33 +0100

Tuesday, September 6, 2005, 8:55:35 PM, Carol Kirschenbaum wrote:

CK>  Goodness, they are spreading far and wide.  (Or I should look at a
>> map... )

CK> ck:  Judy, your sense of geography isn't impaired.

no more than usual, then -- it isn't good

CK>  It's far and wide, all
CK> right--about 3,000 miles.

then that is further than I thought the evacuees would be travelling
as yet.

CK> Fresno's mayor and town council offered the city
CK> as a relo site, just as it did for 2,000 new Hmong refugees earlier this
CK> year, and long before. Poverty rate here is about 20%, btw.

oh goodness -- about the same as New Orleans.

CK> This town has a
CK> good heart--compassionate conservatism indeed--but of course social welfare
CK> and education programs have been cut dramatically. Indeed, we no longer have
CK> a homeless shelter in Fresno!

I was thinking about US homelessness yesterday and today; yesterday as
I bought my Big Issue, as I do every Monday, from my local seller; she
is homeless in that she lives in a hostel, but is not homeless in the
way I think your homeless people are.  (Big Issue stuff here:

http://www.bigissue.com/bigissue.html  )

Then today as I decided not to give to the man who sits in shop
doorways asking for money but who doesn't actually sleep on the
street.

The number of homeless people is growing here in Wales but new
shelters are being built.

CK>  What are they thinking... OK, they're not
CK> thinking.

right

CK> I expect that some of these ex-NO folks will become my voc
CK> rehab/social work clients.

I hope they get that kind of help.