[lit-ideas] Re: True Desperation

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 12:48:37 EDT

<<Personally, I'm still wondering whether the
concept of public  emergency shelters is entirely alien
to the state of Lousiana or USA in  general? Over here,
urban areas have dedicated shelters either  constructed
underground by the city (and used as gyms or indoor
tennis  courts, etc. in normal situations) or in
basements of houses (used as saunas  for the apartment
complex). >>
It's curious that no one responded to  this.  I'd be interested in what the
situation is like in other  States.  In Missouri, about 25 - 30 years ago,
during the height of nuclear  warfare fear, people jumped on the underground
shelter bandwagon (something like  the post-9/11 duct tape and plastic sheeting
thing).....lots of underground  concrete shelters, stocked with emergency
supplies -- clothes, jugs of water,  canned food, radios, flashlights,
batteries.  My
folks knew a couple who  spent exorbitant amounts of money on a home they purc
hased, reinforcing the  underground walls with very thick concrete, etc.
They were die-hards and I  wouldn't be surprised if that shelter is still there
now.  Gradually as the  cold war stuff melted away these started being turned
into recreational rooms,  storage areas, etc., or simply ignored.  A few hard
core  self-preservationists have hung onto them for years .... "we'll be glad
someday,  you'll see" mentality.  When these started springing up there were
also  public underground shelters publicized.  It hasn't occurred to me until
now  to wonder whatever happened to those.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: True Desperation
Date: 9/6/05 5:20:04 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From: _teme17@xxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:teme17@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--- Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>  wrote:

> On quite another note, I've been tearful and raging
>  this weekend. True,
> Saturday was my birthday, but this is more  about
> N.O. and the Bush.
> Desperation without a net. Has anyone  else here been
> taking all this Katrina
> aftermath viscerally and  personally?

It is not only misery. It is throughly depressing  no
matter how you look at it. You can pick pretty much
any thing you thing  that is wrong with USA, or modern
societies in general and it fits the  disaster:

- Government being starved by lack of tax funds to the
point  of being inoperative. (As a veteran BBC US
correspondent put it, "there were  simply no buttons to
push".)
- General dysfunctionality of government  bureaucracy.
- The growing poverty.
- Racism.
- The failure to  appreaciate the fact that if public
order isn't maintained, it will break  down.

And so on. Personally, I'm still wondering whether the
concept  of public emergency shelters is entirely alien
to the state of Lousiana or  USA in general? Over here,
urban areas have dedicated shelters either  constructed
underground by the city (and used as gyms or indoor
tennis  courts, etc. in normal situations) or in
basements of houses (used as saunas  for the apartment
complex). There are some structural requirements,  but
the basic thing is that they must have a toilet, a
shower and spare  water. I've never paid any attention
to how this is handled elsewhere, but  surely the
concept is not novel. It's not like it has any
significant  costs either.

Yours,
Teemu
Helsinki,  Finland