[lit-ideas] Trends in cyberspace

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 10:11:03 EST

Yes, I've always been able (well, for a significantly lengthy period of
time) to access my e-mail from any computer anywhere.  Of course, I  couldn't
access my bookmarks unless I embedded them in an e-mail to myself,  which was
exceedingly cumbersome.  That left me fairly reliant on location  (I haven't
convinced myself to spring for a laptop yet) for information I needed  access
for different purposes -- the law office, the DME office, my home  office.  And
along comes google.  I can access any of my saved links  from any computer on
the planet.  But wait.  There's more.  I've  struggled with how to deal with
calendaring since I'm just never in the same  place for more than a day -- and
MS Outlook does not do well in that area.   I'm just not ready to shell out
the $$ necessary for a PDA that would do  everything I want .... and I may
never
want one.  Google allows you a  (free) calendaring system which will import
your MS Outlook calendar and then  you can access you own personal calendar via
Google from any computer on the  planet.  I'm looking at Contacts next
(another pet peeve of mine which  causes me no end of headaches -- bouncing
from the
contact info that's on my  cell, on MS Outlook at my home office, not wanting
to re-enter data into a  different version of Outlook at the law office,
etc.).  I'm betting Google  has a feature for storing contact information in
your
Google account and  importing it from Outlook also.  I know -- computer
kindergarten.  But  hey -- it excited me.  But then, I'm easily pleased -- a
few
significant  ways to unclutter my life and I'm good.

Julie Krueger