[lit-ideas] Transilvania

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:09:17 EST

The first document in which the Medieval Latin term Ultra siluam ("beyond
the forest") is used in reference to the area dates from 1075. The term Partes
Transsylvanæ ("parts beyond the forest") dates from the same century (used in
Legenda Sancti Gerhardi, and subsequently, as Transsilvania by Medieval Latin
 documents compiled in the Kingdom of Hungary).

Of course in good Romance (Romanian, Italian, etc.) we don't need to double
the /s/ and it becomes as per header.

In a message dated 3/3/2009 2:44:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Canadian was my first citizenship.
(Although I  might look into getting dual citizenship with Romania (where
my father is  from)).
That gets you an EU friendly pasport, don't you  know....

----

I do, as I do hold the Italian one -- but then I  _was_ born at the "Hospital
Italiano" of La Plata! (not far from the Italian  Consulate) --, and it is
very good to have an EU friendly passport, as you  write.

>More than you wanted to know

Not really, as I now want  to know where your *mother*'s side of the family
originates. I assume Stange is  married name then?
It was veryromantic of you to say of the Transylvanian  parentage. So that's
Romanian. So I will assume that your mother is German  parentage, as I think
you said. (It has to be from some place other than Austria  as you said she
'ended up' there -- could well be Hungary -- cfr. V. Caley, and  thanks for the
info, too).

An astrologer of some fame in Buenos Aires, by the name of Lilly Sullos (u
with umlaut) is always talking about Transylvania, where she comes  from.

I own one book on Romance linguistics (by Elcock, London, Faber) but I
cannot say I remember much about the chapter on Romanian!

Very romantic of you too to live on North Bay. I would think it's very
relaxing to live on the edge of a lake.

So now I see that the Romanian Ursula is really 'little bear' of course.
Cfr. Ursula Anders, from Switzerland.

Wanted to impress with some etymological search on the word, but google led
me to this rather obtuse one:

>Etymology - Origin of County Name
>It's name is derived from the  Latin words, trans meaning "across" and sylva
meaning "woods."

and they mean North Carolina...

J. L. Speranza, Esq.

Town:

Calle Arenales 2021, Piso 5, St.  8,
La Recoleta C1124AAE,
Buenos Aires,  Argentina.

Country:

St. Michael Hall,
Calle 58, No. 611,
La  Plata B1900 BPY
Provincia de Buenos Aires,  Argentina.

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219957551x1201325337/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.fr
eecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)