[lit-ideas] Re: Traditionalist Islam

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:20:32 EST

_http://www.ijtihad.org/moderatemuslims.htm_
(http://www.ijtihad.org/moderatemuslims.htm)

_The Legacy of Muhammad and the issues  of Pedophilia and Polygamy_
(http://www.ijtihad.org/women2.htm)

These are two interesting articles from a Moderate Muslim  perspective.

And here's a website you might take a look at:

_http://www.aifdemocracy.org/about/principles.php_
(http://www.aifdemocracy.org/about/principles.php)

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Traditionalist
Islam  Date: 2/25/2007 4:35:00 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
When I click on your reference I get Issue # 132  and don't see anything in
it by Fukuyama.

The route you say I've chosen  is the one I've been on all along.  I started
out believing all I was  hearing about the Traditional Muslims but one day
realized that I wasn't hearing  from any in the Middle East; so right here on
this very Lit-Ideas I challenged  Omar to produce some "moderate" aka
traditional
Muslims from he Middle East, and  he couldn't, or didn't have the time to
look.  So I said that I wasn't  going to believe they existed until some were
produced.  My stance hasn't  changed.  I said that deep down I think they do
probably exist, but did you  read the rest of what I said, Simon?  In practical
terms their existence is  moot because they take no observable actions based
upon their beliefs.   They don't write.  They don't speak out politically.  In
practical  terms they may as well not exist.

[Simon] I say back to you that  the present actions of the west (by the US
and the UK for example), which for  the most part are nothing but verification
of what the fundamentalists are  saying the west would do, preclude that
possibility. More importantly, these  actions serve to push more and more
traditionalists towards the fundamentalist  camp.

[Simon] Now I know this is something you disagree with. You  (and Eric) think
that fundamentalist Islam is a product exclusively derived from  Muslim
culture and a too tight reading of the Koran. You (and Eric) say that the
movement
of muslims from the traditional fold to the fundamentalist is something  the
west cannot influence. At least that's what you say over here...

You  haven't said enough for me to "disagree" or agree with.  What "actions
of  the west" do you have in mind?  And how does "verification of what the
fundamentalists are saying" preclude the possibility of the semi-mythical
traditionalists reaching out to us assuming they knew we (Conservatives)
existed  --
and D'Souza says they don't know we exist.  D'Souza says it is the  actions
of the Cultural Left that antagonize the Traditional Muslims.  They  believe
that we are all irreligious, pro-abortion, pro-homosexual marriage,
pro-sleeping around and a host of other things that appall them.  They do  not
hold our
taking out the Taliban and Saddam Hussein against us.  They do  not mind that
we are fighting Al Quaeda and the Baathists in Iraq.  But  they hate what we
are (read what the Cultural Left is).  D'Souza says we  should be more vocal,
and become visible to the Traditional Muslims.  Once  they know we exist and
share Non-Leftist Cultural views with them we can take a  common stance against
Radical Islam (not to mention the Cultural  Left)

Lawrence

At 01:04 PM 2/25/2007, you wrote:

Well Lawrence, I'm pleased that  you've chosen the interesting route.

I'd like to start with a  quote from you on Lit-Ideas, from the last post:

"...let me say  for the record that I believe the Traditionalists do exist."

Now,  just in case you have some intent to catch me out, I hope we can agree
that  the 'traditionalists' you are referring to to are the 'moderates' that
we have  discussed previously. We can? I'll assume that to be the case.

In  which case, I'd like to go back to something I've been saying repeatedly:
that  the war being fought by the US and the west (sometimes called the War
Against  Terror, other times otherthings), at its heart, is a battle for the
hearts and  minds of the tradional muslim, for the moderate. You say that their

invisibility (in the middle east) means that we are unable to reach out for
them, but that they should reach out for us.

I say back to you  that the present actions of the west (by the US and the UK
for example), which  for the most part are nothing but verification of what
the fundamentlists are  saying the west would do, preclude that possibility.
More importantly, these  actions serve to push more and more traditionalists
towards the fundamentalist  camp.

Now I know this is something you disgree with. You (and  Eric) think that
fundamentalist Islam is a product exclusively derived from  muslim culture and
too tight reading of the Koran. You (and Eric) say that  the movement of
muslims from the traditional fold to the fundamentalist is  something the west
cannot influence. At least that's what you say over  here...

[conflation...]

A few days ago I included a  link to an article by Fukuyama:

_http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/list.php?category=138&issue=549_
(http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/list.php?category=138&issue=549)

I believe it's important and relates to the current discussion.  Perhaps you
could read it and comment.

Simon

_Lawrence Helm_ (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)