[lit-ideas] Re: Traditionalist Islam

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 02:36:57 -0800 (PST)

Lawrence,

Perhaps we could start by a rather commonplace move,
by taking a look at some of the ME newspapers. Granted
that most of these newspapers are to a greater or
lesser extent controlled by the local regimes, still
the people whro write in them are real people. Would
these people not count as moderates in your opinion,
and if not, why ? I am not asking this question
because I especially seek to promote these people or
these newspapers (Daily Star is probably the best) but
because I would like to understand what you mean when
you demand that we produce 'moderates.' O.K.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/

http://english.daralhayat.com/

http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/

http://www.cairotimes.com/

http://www.jordantimes.com/

http://www.arabnews.com/

http://www.gulf-news.com

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk

http://www.metimes.com/

<mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx

<mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >Sent on:
> >
> >Notice what you quoted:  "I wasn't hearing from any
> in the Middle
> >East."  You give me three web sites but none of
> them are in the
> >Middle East.  Yes, I know there are moderates
> outside of the Middle
> >East.  If they become Moderate they have to move
> out.  They go to
> >the Brookings Institute in Washington DC (your
> first web
> >site).  They became an assistant professor in a
> college in Michigan
> >(your second web site), or they become involved
> with the American
> >Islamic Forum for Democracy (your third web site).
> They do not stay
> >in the Middle East and write from there.
> >
> >Lawrence
> >

> >At 09:20 AM 2/26/2007, you wrote:
>
>><http://www.ijtihad.org/moderatemuslims.htm>http://www.ijtihad.org/moderatemuslims.htm
> >>
> >><http://www.ijtihad.org/women2.htm>The Legacy of
> Muhammad and the
> >>issues of Pedophilia and Polygamy
> >>
> >>These are two interesting articles from a Moderate
> Muslim perspective.
> >>
> >>And here's a website you might take a look at:
> >>

>><http://www.aifdemocracy.org/about/principles.php>http://www.aifdemocracy.org/about/principles.php
> >>
> >>Julie Krueger

Be a PS3 game guru.