[lit-ideas] Re: Traditionalist Islam

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 05:23:58 -0800 (PST)

I am resending this since Freelists seems to
be in a strange mood today.

Lawrence,

Perhaps we could start by a rather commonplace move,
by taking a look at some of the ME newspapers. Granted
that most of these newspapers are to a greater or
lesser extent controlled by the local regimes, still
the people whro write in them are real people. Would
these people not count as moderates in your opinion,
and if not, why ? I am not asking this question
because I especially seek to promote these people or
these newspapers (Daily Star is probably the best) but
because I would like to understand what you mean when
you demand that we produce 'moderates.' O.K.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/

http://english.daralhayat.com/

http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/

http://www.cairotimes.com/