[lit-ideas] Re: Too painful to talk about?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:11:41 -0500

I used a question mark and implicit within the question mark is an ellipsis
("Too painful [for you] to talk about?").  So, clearly, it was not too painful
for me to talk about, but rather I questioned other people's silence on the
subject.  Regarding whether the actions are normative or not, agreed, it is not
normative in the sense that it is certainly not encouraged.  By that standard,
however, the USSR had a wonderful government, since on the books their
constitution guaranteed all sorts of wonderful things.  The reality was quite
different.  If the military or the government isn't criticized for wrongdoing,
how will it ever be any good?  How will we ever have a democracy except by
questioning?  They're humans Lawrence, and give them half a chance, humans will
be evil.  They have to be questioned if you want to stay superior.  Questioning
is what makes us superior.  You would take away our questioning, which is to
say, our democracy.

Regarding patriotism, the Soviets were extremely patriotic.  Patriotic and
paranoid.  Fortunately, they were sane because we never had a war with them.
Americans are patriotic and paranoid too and ironically quicker on the draw
than were the Soviets.  The Soviets allowed no disagreement, no questioning, no
reading or discussion except what supported Party actions, which is pretty much
your position.  You would have made an exemplary Soviet man.  Of course, your
response to me will be that I am unpatriotic, I don't see the danger, I'm on
the dark side, never hearing your own words.  Whatever.  Go for it, Tovarischt
Lawrence.  Drop your bombs and make the world safe for democracy.  I really
don't want to talk about this anymore.  It's like talking about creating better
humans (not perfect, just better).  It's pointless.  People like war, so let
them have war.  They like dirty air, let them have dirty air.  I'm done.