[lit-ideas] Too Much Information?

My friend's son, who went to Doofus HS -- where they encourage students to talk to each other during in-class writing assignments as noted in a previous post -- is now preparing for his first semester in college. He has just selected his classes and registered for them.

Out of curiosity I checked out his professors. They are listed on the college's Web site. Linking to his music professor, who is also a composer, I found the guy's MySpace page. First thing you read there is:

>>Looking for guys into vacuum pumping. LOVE to pump and get as big as possible. If you pump, contact me.<<

So he's gay ... big deal. So he has a rather childish and mostly harmless fetish ... big deal. But making this kind of information easily available to students strikes me as gross and annoying.

What to do? I told my friend's son about it. He was disgusted, and I had to reassure him that the only thing that mattered was the quality of the guy's teaching. Still, the news made him less enthusiastic about his musical studies.

I'm not in academia, so have no idea if this kind of blunt self-disclosure is to be expected. What do you guys think? Should I be outraged? Is the professor disclosing his desires a violation of ethics? (I'm describing a link outside of the college Web site.)

EY