[lit-ideas] Re: Tittles--a change of title

Just a few remarks here and there ---------------->

Quoting Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Walter O. wrote:
>
> "It should be noted that both the early and the later W were
> transcendental philosophers. Staying with the later W, his fundamental
> and abiding transcendental claim is that meaning and understanding are
> conditioned for their possibility by language-games."

P.E:
> It seems to me that if W. is a transcendental philosopher, he is an
> odd kind.  True, there is a great deal of stage-setting that goes into
> making meaning and understanding possible, but what is involved in
> stage-setting are customs and habits.  That is, we know what words and
> sentences mean when we learn how to use them in a particular language.
>  However, we learn a particular language by learning how to use
> particular words and sentences in particular cases.  Languages then
> are as uniform, consistent, or rational as our habits and customs.

-------------> Clearly, since a language is itself constituted by habits and
customs (and conversely). Cultural customs do not, and cannot, exist
independent of their modes of linguistic institutionalization. For example, the
meaning of the linguistic utterance/speech act "You're out!", asserted during a
baseball game by a particular person at a particular time remains
unintelligible outside the cultural practices of the game. But the latter would
not be possible without a language codifying its semantics and syntax. This
remains a transcendental "truth," and W was well aware of its status.

To be continued in next posting. Cheers, Walter

PE: