[lit-ideas] Three Men on the Bummel (Was: Kant)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 09:25:43 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/2004 8:28:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Henninge@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The  Germans, "Respekt!" I would almost say, I believe with Kant,
that it is the  most natural thing in the world to acknowledge the talent of
another, but  Kant puts in words the source of this feeling of "naturalness":
it is this  Achtung, respect, and more specifically, *respect for the law*,
"the  consciousness of the immediate subordination of my will to a law and
its  determination by it. . . . [This] respect extends not only to the  law
itself, but to everything we think in accordance with it, as legal and  moral
or as the object of the law of one's duties, for example, dutiful  actions;
to rights; to law-abiding or even _talented_ persons (my  emphasis), to the
extent that we ascribe the development of their abilities  _to the legal use
of their freedom_ (m.e.); to our own (Selbstschätzung  [self-esteem]) and to
any other free and reasonable  being."

----

There is a fascinating book on this by Jerome K. Jerome, Three men on  a
bummell (his presequel to Three men in a boat). Set in Germany, they find  a
nice
old lady who won't cross a park because "there is a law forbidding it",  even
though there is nobody to _see_ her violating the norm. I don't have the  book
with me, but I can always misquote it. In any case, Jerome was working with
that assumption that all Germans are Kantian (and all Kantians are German --
the  Henning Convertible Rule).

Cheers,

JL

----

Set ten years later than Three Men in a Boat it  tells of a cycling
expedition through the Black Forest.  The three fearless  friends introduced in
Three
Men in a Boat decide to take a cycling trip through  the Black Forest and end
up in a series of misadventures even more hilarious  than their previous. 5
cassettes. A "bummel" is a journey without end. Whether we  want to or not,
most
of us have to settle with a return to our regular  exertions. So do these
heroes of THREE MEN IN A BOAT,  only on this occasion, a cycling trip through
the
Black Forest, it seems they  may cycle on forever, such are their problems.
Whether it's George attempting to  buy a cushion for his aunt or Harris's
harrowing experience with a road-waterer,  not to mention the routine problems
with
language and directions, things get  very confused indeed! "A delightful
excursion in a world which, alas,  exists no longer--and indeed may only have
been
found in the author's lively  imagination." (B-O-T Editorial Review Board)
Humorous tales of cycling the Black  Forest -- I read this book--which I assume
is a fictionalized  account of an actual journay--after having spent a year in
Germany and I bemused  by the fact that the Germans that Jerome K. Jerome
characterizes in this book  (published in 1900) are very similar to those of
the
present day. Added to this,  is the fact that the book is mainly set in the
Black Forest region of Germany,  which is where I stayed. So not only was this
book humorous and entertaining, it  rekindled fond memories as well. The
writing I fear will disillusion the more  casual reader, but for those who have
the
inclination, this book is a very  worthwhile read.