[lit-ideas] Re: Theatre of the Absurd -- a work in progress

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:16:53 -0400

Very interesting account, John.  I definitely agree, and I was serious that
agriculture is what changed humanity profoundly and for the worse.  It
eliminated variety by narrowing food choices to only what was grown or
raised, and it was unreliable.  Before agriculture, paleolithic peoples
were actually taller than we are on average, and from their fossils, better
nourished that we are even today.  With the advent of agriculture, humans
became smaller and deficiency diseases set in, exacerbated further in the
19th and 20th centuries by refining of grains.  There?s a lot of talk
nowadays about whole grains as being healthful, yet we did not evolve
eating whole grains.  Wheat berries, but not grains as such.  Certainly
bread would have been unheard of, although cooking I believe was done.

I would imagine that religion would have had to evolve around the same time
as agriculture.  I read that paleolithic (or very ancient at any rate)
grave sites have been discovered, therefore ancient people did bury their
dead, but I've never heard of any evidence that they had religion.
Paleolithic people also didn't artificially deem men more important than
women.  Both were equally necessary for group survival.

Overall, from what you've written and whatever I know, I am convinced that
the primitive brain, what I'm calling the crocodile brain that?s so active
today, is a fallback position when humans are improperly nurtured (not
nourished, nurtured).  There?s evidence that children as young as 18 months
are altruistic, know when someone needs help and when they don't, and they
enjoy helping.  This is drummed out of kids over the years.  One might
argue that, Rousseau notwithstanding, civilization is ultimately an
unnatural condition.  Unfortunately, the sheer numbers of humans due to
their otherwise amazing adaptability makes civilization a necessary and
ironically a self-defeating evil.

I still think that the effects of civilization can be greatly, vastly
mitigated if incipient humans were nurtured properly, something
institutions of civilization will never allow.

Thanks, John, for your comments.  They were so very interesting.

All we