[lit-ideas] Re: The supergun that couldn't shoot straight

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 00:49:30 -0700 (PDT)

--- Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The US has not learned anything from 55 years of
> >> foreign-policy debacles.
>
> This is what you wrote or quoted, Omar. This
> statement is far from what you
> contend it meant--merely that the US has had foreign
> policy debacles. Do you
> not see the difference? Do you not see how claiming
> that the US has "learned
> nothing" would antagonize any audience that is
> favorably disposed to the
> US--and even-handedness--even a smidgeon, in some
> regard?

*Perhaps so. Given the current US policy on Iran, it
doesn't seem to be the case that the US has learned
anything from the debacle in Iraq. Someone who will
not even admit that Iraq was a mistake will probably
not like this point, and it will antagonize them.
Tough luck, but if they also happen to hold that all
Muslims are terrorists or fundamentalists unless they
prove otherwise, I might not actually be very
interested in a dialogue with them.

O.K.

http://mail.yahoo.com